Altaf Raja and Indian Truck Drivers



Almost every 90’s Kid from India would have heard of this song “Tum toh thehre pardesi ….  saath kya nibahaaoge” in one or the other place knowing or unknowing what is actually playing in back ground. This introduces me to introduce you to a very special genre of songs that was especially famous during 90’s or at least my childhood. Its called “DHABA SONGS”. You don’t have to worry of it if you haven’t heard of it. It’s not a genre of music by itself. I can say, it’s the kind of classification that I am making to describe these kinds of songs. Please don’t mistake me I am not stereotyping anyone or any kind of music or so but just to ease of understanding I am using this classification.

My House was in a Jain temple street. There are many advantages of your house being in a Jain temple road. One is you will always get to see hot Jain chicks religiously dressed up going to temple at least once for a week. Especially on Sundays it’s pretty much sure that you can expect any Marwari girl in the town you want to check in can be taking a walk to Jain mandir to find peace. I am not sure if she would find peace in the temple, but for sure all the anxious guys who were interested in her in their own degrees of attachments would find peace in their own level of attachments. The other thing is now and then you will get to see this Marwari wedding processions to move in front of your house. Oh, my god! it’s one of a kind you should never miss. My sincere suggestions to all my fellow buddies is if you ever happened to meet a Marwari friend in life, make sure that he invites you to all marriages of his relatives. It’s not only about the very lavish display of wealth, lot of tasty food you as a non-Marwari would never ever would have expected that you would taste them in your life, music, hot girls, cute kids, their dogs but also the greatest display of joy that they portray in a marriage. Oh, it’s absolutely fantabulous. If you ever been to such a marriage you will always observe either some band as a team playing some background music that covers the entire free space in the environment or some DJ kind of a person carefully coordinating all the music systems lighting's and taking care of the video displays and all such kinds of stuff sitting in an isolated corner with a headphone. If you ever paid attention to the songs. I bet you will definitely would have come across this song “Tum toh thehre pardesi ….  saath kya nibahaaoge” and many such songs. At is time I am very much exited to show you guys how this song looked like.  Please have a look.


But the most important observation of this song and many other songs from this guy called Altaf Raja was that they gave lot of peace for Indian Highway truck drivers.  I am not joking there is this serious stereotyping of Indian truck drivers that they are inhumane. There are stories behind these drivers that in long Indian highways that these drivers would keep a brick on the accelerator and go for a sleep or so for a while; Or they would ask their cleaners to take care of the road while they take a small nap and come back. Since I haven’t seen it in first hand I would say it was only an exaggeration of the boredom of their job routine or I don’t know. Can’t just say it’s not possible after Adidas saying impossible is nothing. Especially after seeing video like this video. 


Now, it is important to describe what was their daily routine would somewhat look like. Most of these truck drivers would leave early in the morning after a very short sleep of 4 – 5 hours to pass through the important cities as they are restricted entering the important metro cities during the peak traffic hours or so. And keep on travelling in the left lane of highways till they feel bored. Usually there will be a Highway Dhabas in road ways where these truck drivers stop to have lunch. Sometimes there if there are no Dhabas when they get bored they do all these impossible things. But I would say this guy Altaf raja kept these guys from falling asleep for a long time or keep them pushing harder not to break for some more time when they get frustrated, but cannot stop because of their daily targets of covering so many kilometres a day. This was one more place where these kinds of songs would fill the environment to keep it alive. I am not in position to judge these guys but all I could say is that they could have had a better life if did they went to school when they were young. I am not sure what point I am making but all that I say is its pathetic.


I would say these kinds of songs did originate in these wonderful places called Dhabas which are the only entertainment they have during their thousands of kilometres of boring journey. Have a look at this video if you guys have time. This is almost every kind of food you can get in most of the Dhabas.  I am sure that your mouth going to water after this.




I am not understanding for myself what are the things I am trying to connect through todays blog. I think I cannot. it is complex to understand the interlinking between various phenomenon happening in India. Even its complex to draw connections in between.  All I can say is that they all exist in complex intricate symbiosis within every Indian and this cannot be described or cannot be orderly explained as Germans do. its complex and intricated. But it works there. 

- Sid 

Comments